Sunday, July 1, 2007

Snappy Title

So after last night’s no sleep, I got into work a little late. And here we again…but hopefully this was a one time thing. Not too much happened at work. I was really following the NBA draft. The Sixers get Thaddeus Young. Never heard of him until the draft, could be good, I have no idea. I hate Billy King. The only other guy I could think of getting other than him however would have been Julian Wright from Kansas. I think tht would have been better. Excited to see Oden and Durant in the pros though. Although I think the Hawks had the best draft. They got a Horford and Acie Law. And the Phils, pulling off a dandy against Reds it seems.

Okay back to China. Lunch I tried a Japanese pizza/pancake dish. Kinda greasy. Wouldn’t have it again. It was okay, the ginger in it was pretty good. Really ridiculously unhealthy lunch today. Also had a Chinese donut, it was like a mild curry flavored donut with a hot dog inside it. Yeah not good, but then I also had the camembert muffin/pastry. I was expecting a nice creamy filling of camembert and it was just like tiny streaks inside. Can’t y’all just taste the disappointment?

Anyways moving on, dinner was a much better affair with some “New York Style” Pizza. It was actually pretty good, although the crust was about a 1/8 inch thicker and crispier than a true new york style pizza. Yo Brooklyn…..holla. Okay please someone punch me in the face for ludicrous stuff like that. And about half an hour before I am about to leave, my boss says hey got a few projects for you. We need an Air Handling unit (fancy term for heating and cooling system) for a couple warehouses. The project needs to be approved by July 15th. July 15th? Are you fucking kidding me. Hey do you still want me to go to training for the next two weeks at the local plant? Yes? Really? Oh jee thanks Dave, bang up job so far…(guess which movie)…
What I really wanted to say was, Oh jeez thanks doctor, when the hell do you expect me to have time to call vendors, who do not speak English, get everything translated, get bids back, approve vendor, have HSE and legal approve the SOB, and get customs papers worked, all by July 15th? I guess that’s why they call me big papa. Actually nobody calls me big papa, I completely made that up.

So met up with Zhie, Russ and the gang again tonight afte r packing for the trip. Zhie Hu still is the freaking man, he is just such a nice guy. he took a almost an hour cab ride to just come and hang with me tonight.

So you know what bothered me all day today. The street beggars. People with no legs, or getting pushed around in carts. And when they see that you are a foreigner, they are even more persistent. I feel like a total jerk for not giving them a few RMB, just coins you know. But I always just walk away. I really can’t give a reason why. So I’m kinda dying in guilt here. And then tonight, while hanging out with zhie hu, I get out of a cab, and there are kids, just maybe 4 or 5 years old just coming upto you. Man that just breaks my heart. And of course their parents send them to you on purpose, and they just say xiexie, xiexie, to you with a cup rattling barely reach your waist. That is just hard to ignore. Just gut and heart wrenching. And the thing they are about as angelic as you get you know. So I go into the restaurant with everyone and we order some food and eat and we come out, and couple of the same kids are still there, and I finally break down and give one of them whatever coins that I could grab from my wallet, maybe like 3 or 4 RMB. And as soon as that happens a little girl comes up to me and I give her 1 RMB and she goes away. Then a lady selling roses comes upto me and hounds me for a good minute. Now that doesn’t seem long, but just try asking someone for a solid 60 seconds to buy something, that’s freaking excruciating. I didn’t buy any flowers, but there is the problem. You start giving to one person and it is a swarm. But shit, how can you just ignore them. Then on my way I saw a lady yelling at probably a 4 or 5 year old girl. .the girl was trying to sell flowers at 1 A.M in the morning. Poor kid was probably tired as all hell and her mom probably just didn’t want to hear it. I don’t know I’m just guessing. Let’s end this on a brighter note.

Oh by the way, apparently my chopstick hold is atrocious and I’ve been setting myself up for failure. So I got that to work on over the weekend. Shit I am probably just gonna sleep like a mofo on that 5 hour ride. Well for it’s good night, for y’all it’s afternoon. Really don’t matter cause I can’t upload this mothatrucker t’ll Monday anyways.

Lastly but not leastly for those of y’all wondering, I have had a petticure. Yes I’m comfortable in my manhood and sexuality to admit that. Well at least I think I am. Enjoy the rest of the blog.

You know how we do….

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pedicure huh?....very sexy....
Very amusing blog for the most part so far...I must say that I started laughing out loud a few times while sitting in the computer lab hiding and thus avoiding the pile of psych consults I was supposed to be doing today. Anyway, can't wait to read about your new and exciting food adventures...and to think that all this time I thought Shanghai was known for its cuisine....

Unknown said...

Don't give money to the beggars with kids! They say that those guys kidnap kids (sometimes crippling them on purpose) and keep them around to get some extra sympathy yuan.