Thursday, July 26, 2007

One month update

July 27, 2007-7-25
So this week work is pretty usual crap you know. I guess anywhere you get into a routine. But what was interesting was something that was personal. Normally when I visit a foreign country, I am all about trying the local stuff, the food, and immerse myself in the local culture as possible. Now, this time around, in China, I’m just not about it. Yesterday after my language lesson, I pretty much refused to eat at a local restaurant. I would say 80% of the reason is that I cannot trust local restaurants to provide me a safe experience. I’m just afraid of food poisoning. Now the place that I had that ridiculous barbeque, that was as local as you get and I was good after that. Yesterday I settled on a Cuban sandwich at a Cuban restaurant. If I went local, I would have had the same amount of food probably for half the price. The other part of it is that I am not a huge fan of shanghainese food, it’s pretty unhealthy, and to me not that good. So there is taste itself which has never been an issue in the past. I like all types of food, apparently not Shanghainese. The scarier thought is that I am getting old and getting set in my ways. This will have to be remedied. I don’t prefer to be set in my ways, I mean certain things of course, but not of cultural preferences.. I think it will get me that much close to cultural bigotry which of course is still a ways away.

It has been one month now since I have been in Shanghai. The main reason I am here is to learn the language. Plain and Simple. Pretty much everything is secondary. Now if that is the main goal, I have to give myself an F so far. I know certain phrases, but the effort I have put in is quite terrible.

My attitude, my well being outside of work. I live in a temporary apartment which is certainly cramping my style. I eat out because I don’t feel like buying cooking stuff (nor have I had the time to cook) and then having to move it all. Right now, I have 3 suitcases and a book bag. So that would be pretty easy. I’ve been pretty busy 7 days a week for the entire month. Any chance to relax I ruined by watching multiple episodes of House on DVD. This weekend, I will get back from Tianjin, a plant we have close to Beijing. So Friday night, I haven’t decided weather to go out or go home and just sleep. Saturday the entire day is swamped. 12:00 PM bball, 1:30 Ultimate, 5:00 PM a work party at the boss’s place. Sunday hopefully will be relaxing. So my attitude is tired, needing a chance to sit down and put some time aside for language and also think about what’s after China. I’ll be here for a while, but this has been my goal for a long time, but what next? Wander the earth like Kane (from Kung Fu- the legend not the Bible)? And you know I’m crazy enough to do it.

No comments: