Thursday, June 28, 2007

Late night thursday and language lessons




not in the blogging mood, but to the faithfuls out there, personal qualms must be put aside. naahmean? so the orientation continued at work and finally finished. I go to one of the plants for the next two weeks for practical training. talked with the HSE guy, Chen and and Gu, one of the people who handles the raw materials data base. Let me tell ya, running a chemical business, you better have some serious regulatory staff to make sure that yourself and your customers are taken care of. Sure you can cut corners, but then you are just an asshole who is waiting to get burned. and you would absolutely deserve it.

So opened up a bank account here, nothing to it. just normal, go to the bank of china, stay in line, the teller spoke english, and Bob's your uncle, fannie's your aunt. The details of the chinese banking system is a little confusing for me. so I just let HR handle this. Just pay me...I don't care where I get it, as long as I can access it.

So back to China, lunch was an expensive affair today. 59RMB, that's what you get for shopping at a supermarket beneath the Ritz. a terrible chicken salad sandwich, some papaya, some chilli/paprika potato chips (pretty good, addictive, and not good for the old health), and an apple turnover. I was starving and decided to splurge. Do people care about this mundane details, I doubt it. Let's get a little more efficient.

language lessons were great. Let me tell you about the subway trip right after work. .So I gt out of work at 6:00-6:15, language lesson was scheduled for 6:30. walk to the subway and let me tell you folks, it was freaking crowded. unreal. and in Shanghai, people just shove you out of the way, and it's not rude to just push your way through. and considering I am bigger than most of the locals, i say bring it on baby. Inside the subway, i am talking waaaaaay too close for comefort. I mean you are literally grinding with somebody. and everyone of course wants to get off at the interchange, and it was kinda fun pushing my way through about 3 or 4 rows of people to get out. actually I probably forced myself to think of it as fun because any thoughts of annoyance would have made me ridiculously angry. You cannot think in contexts of what I would do to a person for shoving me in Philly or NYC or wherever else. You just gotta accept thats what people do and its okay to push back or whatever as long as you are not overly aggressive like pushing someone so hard they fall or somehting. Judgment baby judgement. (yes the last few sentences make me sound like a valley girl, I just wanted to throw a few people off)

so language lesson, lessons were numbers, time, saying dates, big first to little, so year, month, date. people say China, Shanghai, not Shanghai, China as we do in the old country.

man so I didn't get to the language lesson t'll 7:10, imagine me being late I know I know, i am f'n surprised too. But come on, I had no idea where this place was, next time I know better. so i had to laundry today and it's 10:30 already and I am freaking tired from all the walking. I throw the stuff in, and I get a call from Zhie Hu, my friend from Columbus who is actually from Shanghai. He's in China for the summer. Tells me Russ from Columbus just got into Shanghai and they all want to hang out. Sonfoa....i was half asleep when he called me. So trudge out to meet him, he's like a 20 minute cab ride away, which in no traffic is pretty far away. I get there of course it's great to see Zhie Hu, one of the best guys ever, honestly. Sit down I have a drink and I really want to just get back and go to sleep and they decide to go to get a foot massage. Zhie Hu insists I go and of course I go. so russ, his girlfriend, another girl from columbus, Zhie Hu, and his friend. I foot massage was okay and I kept saying it was great because I don't know I guess I was being polite. I mean seriously what was i going to say, no guys, this isn't really good, while you guys think this is great. I mean it's a foot massage, whatever. Now if it was a petticure, that would be something else. Listen, don't diss the petticure until you try it. after the massage, which took like a freaking hour, and Zhie Hu picks up the tab for everybody, told you he was one of the best, and I know that he doesn't do it so you'll pick up the tab for him later. He's just a good guy. The best part of it was sitting next to Russ and Zhie Hu and cracking jokes. that was great. Russ's calluses were awful and you know, hey russ, maybe they need to bring in the planar and rotary sander to take care of you. Okay that's disgusting let's move on.

So I think I will meet up with them again friday night. I didn't get to bed t'll like 3 in the morning. awful. this weekend, we're going to Yu Yao, we meaning a me and a 7 people from work. It's the country side, maybe some mountains, and we are going waxberry picking. but the highlight, the highlight is something called drifiting. we pretty much get on a boat and just drift down a river. Kinda like a log flume, but uncontrolled. I was told, (I have no idea if this will be true), that instead of life jackets, they will be giving us wooden logs to hold onto. I could not stop laughing when I heard that, I mean I didn't laugh at it when the person told me, but just trying to explain to a couple friends of mine. this is going to be great. I mean if you think about it, why wouldn't the wooden log work?

weekend's a coming, blog won't be updated t'll sunday night or monday. cheers y'all.

No comments: