Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Work at a plant

So today was work and today was the realization that the language barrier is the toughest I have had to deal with. I mean I am absolutely lost at times and so is the person trying to communicate with me. So I made some paint today, lots of solvent, talc, resin, all sortsa good chemicals and good gravy the fumes. And did some tests to check the quality, specific gravity, viscosity, etc. So it was a good learning experience. However, the communication barrier is extreme. I mean I felt bad for the lab tech trying ot communicate with me. He was so flustered and frustrated that he coudln't speak english, and it was frustrating, but I have to say that my english was even worse. I need to focus more on learning the language, even ordering dinner, hell I don’t know the words for rice. Well the week is going to be pretty boring. So this might be a slow week for blogs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I have the same problem (in reverse) with a guy from another company I have to work with from time to time. It's massively frustrating - I can tell he's smart, and you know I'm smart, but our ability to communicate is just this side of hand jestures.

I wonder how much longer it will be before we have a babblefish that really works. It's a terribly complicated problem to solve, but I could see it happening near the end of my lifetime...

Anonymous said...

If you've never seen a babelizer before, check out lost in translation for a chuckle.

For example:

a cookie is just a cookie, but fig newtons are fruit and cake.

...is babelized to...

biskuit has expert of biskuit, but Newton von Fig is fruit and hardens.

Anonymous said...

Crap, let's try that again: lost in translation